Sunday, February 11, 2007

Saturday, February 10, 2007
Today was the first ride in two weeks. It was also my first ride on the new saddle. My goal was 75 miles. I parked at McD's on East Lake Sammamish (Issaquah). I started my ride at 9:30 a.m. Rode down 900 to Westlake Sammamish, left at the round about and Right on Newport way (following the bike route though Eastgate to Bellevue). Then around Lake Washington clockwise and back the way I came.

I liked the feel of the new saddle. I could definitely feel my seat bones on the saddle and I didn't feel sore on the ride (although I did get a little saddle sore by mile 40). I'm going to keep this saddle for a while and see if breaking it in helps. It is definitely an improvement over my old one.

I rode and chatted with a guy for about 5 miles on the Burke Gillman Trail. To keep pace with him I was at 90% MHR. Had a great conversation (mostly about my Seven bike...he was contemplating having one built). I mentioned that before my Seven I didn't feel like a strong cyclist. He said "Anyone that can ride 15mph up hill is a strong cyclist...you are a strong cyclist!" It was a great reminder that I'm a good cyclist...and comparing with others isn't helpful. I'm reminded of what my golf coach use to say. "you are as good as you should be; and you should be as good as you are." My riding buddy turned off and I continued on my merry way.

After I left my riding buddy, I struggled with the last 26 miles, although it was fun riding the North end of the lake which I had not done before. For the last 26 miles I felt the way that I do when I get off the bike (feeling like I need to cough and wheezing a bit). I realized that my legs were not tired. I talked with my doctor on Friday about my coughing and needing to clear mucus out of my lungs for about 2-3 hours after riding. She said it sounded like exercise induced asthma and she prescribed an inhaler to use before and after riding. I'm interested to see how it works (don't have it yet). I realized on the ride home that the 5 miles at 90% MHR seemed to bring on the symptoms. It is interesting that (on long rides) when I'm in the 90%MHR range (for a prolonged time) I usually have a bit of trouble for the next few minutes getting enough Oxygen...this has been going on as long as I've been riding. It has been most noticeable when I'm climbing hard...by the time I crest the hill I don't have what it takes to keep going...have to coast a bit and catch my breath. The symptoms have been much worse this year then they have been before...this is also the first year that I've done hard long rides in the winter. So the cold air may be making it worse.

Although I wanted to ride 75 miles, I'm very happy with the 67 miles. This is my longest ride so far this year, and it had some great climbs (Juanita hill for one).

I got off the bike feeling like I had been beat up (more than on my other rides). Both knees complained on the ride and my neck complained coming down Juanita (a long descent in my drops). My left ankle was complaining by mile 50. This could all be from the new saddle which is obviously supporting me much more than my old saddle. I think I'll drop my bike off at a Seven shop just to make sure the new saddle is in the correct position (that it isn't lower or higher or more forward or farther back than it is suppose to be).

My average speed was down a bit (11.4 mph). My Cadence was up (well between 80 and 90) on the flats. Cadence average was 71 rpm Ascent was 2680. Average HR was 78%. 23% of the ride was uphill, 30% was downhill and 47% was flat.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
I've had a bad case of saddle sores this winter, so today I went to Sammamish Cycles to buy a new saddle. I bought a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow saddle and had them install it (so that it is in the same position as my old saddle). Picked up some tubes and tires while I was there. I think I can find the tubes and tires cheaper in the future. I'm finding 700c tires about $10 more than the 650c which I use to purchase (not sure if this is Sammamish Cycles or if the prices is indeed more in general). I'm trying to gradually pick up the supplies I'll need for PacTour before the trip and make any bike changes now so that my body is use to the bike setup well before the trip. I'm still looking for a larger saddle bag (one that will fit my coat in it). Otherwise I'm set. Assuming this saddle works well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home