Saturday, February 28, 2009

Just working at it!

This week has been a bit weird.  During my Mtn bike race last week, I got a stitch in my side which should be no big deal; it only lasted about 20 minutes.  Monday I had some pain in my right side (below the rib cage); but with lots of Aleve to deal with other pain, it didn't bother me much.  Tuesday, with less Aleve, it bothered me more.  Wednesday on the drive to class my side really started to bother me; and I went home feeling nauseous.  

Thursday morning I was still in pain, so I decided I better go see the doc.  He didn't know what it was.  He said it was either a pulled muscle or gallbladder problems.  It didn't totally act like gallbladder issue; but he wanted the gallbladder checked out to make sure.  So Friday I went in for an ultrasound; good news, the ultrasound was normal.  So today I was back at the doctor's office to hear what the diagnoses is.  

I met with a new doctor, since Mr. doc doesn't work on Saturday, and as soon as I said mountain biking she broke out with a wide grin that only another mountain biker could decipher as meaning: Yea I mountain bike too.  Since it isn't the gallbladder and I was mountain bike racing last Sunday, She diagnosed it as a pulled muscle and she wants me off the mountain bike for at least another week.  

It was great having an athletic doctor.  After she told me I should be off the mountain bike for a couple of weeks; she smiled and said that it was up to me.  If I race, it means I'll most likely re-injure it and increase the time it takes to heal.  It was so obvious she knows the temptation to exercise through an injury.  And it was so obvious that she has personally paid the consequences of doing so in the past.  She did give me a consolation prize.  She said I could do just about anything I want (including road riding) just no Mountain biking.  The gig is that with mountain biking you pull a lot on the handle bars (when climbing, when going over obstacles, when just riding).  So it looks like I'm not mountain bike racing for a week or so.  The good news is that it feels better today. 

My plan for this weekend it to run today and road ride tomorrow; and be thankful it is just a pulled muscle!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home